Sometimes I have a workstation that is not responsive, and I have to find a way remotely to find the issue, kill a process and sometimes reboot the windows computer.
- Open a remote command prompt to the windows computer
- Run the command tasklist | more
- find the process PID id. I like to look for processes that are taking the largest amount of memory, or most open sessions
- Run the command taskkill /F /PID 5411
- Note 5411 was just a PID number that was in the task list. the PID (Process Identifier) will be different for you for each process.
- If the computer still does not respond, sometimes you have to force a reboot. Run: shutdown /r /f r is for restart and f is for force